Stockmarket - 12 Qtrs Positive
The March quarter return on the Australian Stockmarket (All Ordinaries Price index) was 8.0% and was the twelfth positive quarter in a row for a total 3 year increase of 78.6%. This 12 quarter positive stretch is a record based on our data back to 1875, only equalled back in December 1900. Comparable runs of positive quarters and what happened thereafter are summarised below:
* September 1987 - 11 positive quarters for a rise of 83.6%; in the following quarter the market fell 41.3%.
* September 1960 - 11 positive quarters for a rise of 63.8%; in the following quarter the market fell 19.2%.
* June 1927 - 10 positive quarters for a rise of 27.6%; in the following quarter the market fell 2.5%.
* December 1900 - 12 positive quarters for a rise of 25.2%; in the following 4 quarters the market fell in each quarter for a total fall of 7.9%.
You can track the history using data series graphing in the FinDem Research Centre.
Posted Friday, 14 April 2006
- Sunday, 9 Dec 2018 - We must Catch up THIS year!
- Tuesday, 27 Nov 2018 - New Generation Voters
- Monday, 19 Nov 2018 - Actuaries Launch Climate Index
- Tuesday, 13 Nov 2018 - Population Policy - 3 Views
For past news items, visit the News Archive.